What You Need To Know About Tiny Home Plumbing

JT Plumbing Tiny House

The tiny house movement is here to stay, and it is easy to understand why. People are downsizing to enjoy the simple life and lower their cost of living. But tiny homes can cause big problems without following consent and Building Code rules. So how can you avoid stressful mistakes when building a tiny home?

1. Building vs Vehicle

Firstly, you should establish whether your tiny home is classified as a building or a vehicle. If you have a tiny house on wheels, it could still be defined as a building. For your home to be defined as a vehicle, it needs to be moveable, have self-contained facilities, remain road legal and be able to obtain a Warrant of Fitness. This will likely mean you will be set up to live off-the-grid. If it does not meet all of these requirements, your tiny house is considered a building, which means it needs to adhere to Building Act rules.

2. Do I Need a Building Consent?

In most cases, yes, and certainly if you want mains water and sewer connections. A tiny home is treated like any other building and must comply with the building code. If it falls into the building category or you are going to connect it to utility services, such as water and wastewater, you will need a building consent. Obtaining consent should be the first step in your tiny house building project.

3. Do I Need a Resource Consent?

In some cases, you may also need resource consent for your tiny home. This will depend on zoning, what you plan to use the house for and the connections to services you need. There are many variables, so it is recommended you contact a planner at Western Bay District council or your local council to find out exactly what rules apply in your case.

4. Will I Need a Qualified Plumber?

A tiny home can have all the luxuries of a full-size house, including running water and drainage in the kitchen and bathroom. Unless your plumbing is set up off the grid, you will need a qualified plumber to get you connected to services. Only a Registered Plumber can legally connect pipes to public water supply and wastewater systems. The alternative is setting up your own rainwater, wastewater and greywater collection systems.

The qualified plumbers at JT Plumbing & Drainage Tauranga are experienced at tiny home plumbing. Book in with one of our Master Plumbers today to connect your Bay of Plenty tiny home to plumbing services.

other blogs you may like